Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Letter to Santa Pillow

You know that I'm big on Christmas...everything Christmas. My house is actually in the North Pole and people call me Claus. ;) What's a better way to communicate with Santa then a direct pillow talk route? My kiddos love to write letters to Santa, well...not the ones that can't write...or speak yet for that matter, so a fun way to do this is to have them write their letter and put it in Santa's pouch. They can even write a letter on Christmas Eve for Santa and he can leave his response back in the pouch for the kiddos! Pretty much you can put whatever you want in the pouch, or nothing at all. You can give this as a gift and put some Christmas goodies in it like cookies, candy canes, gift cards, subpoenas etc.


**If you are feeling extra crafty, which evidently I am because my friend told me I am, you can put your children's names under the belt so that they can have their personalized letter to Santa pillow. 
The Tutorial:


I used red fleece from Hobby Lobby and cut 3 pieces 12x12. I used a tape measure.


I used the fake fur, also from Hobby Lobby and placed a 2 inch wide strip down the middle (I sewed on both sides leave) and then sewed 2 black buttons on. 


Take your 3rd piece of fabric and fold directly down the middle and iron it. I used my silhouette cameo to cut out the pieces for the belt, but you can use whatever you would like. Then I used my iron and put them on the fabric. 


Match up the bottom belt piece to the front of the Santa suit. 


Place your extra piece of fleece and put down on top of the layers creating a sandwich. 


Pin your pieces together. I pin my stuff like this...I'm not sure how other people pin their projects together - but I like to do it this way. Make sure to mark where you will leave your opening to stuff the pillow. I left my opening by the "arm" of Santa. 


Pull your fabric out the little arm hole and make sure to poke all points with a tool...such as your scissors. Your next job is to either use your pillow form or some cluster puff...both of which you can buy at Hobby Lobby. 






** Disclaimer...I have no idea how good you sew - so if you have small children who like to eat things, make sure you get those suckers on tight or use the heat adhesive vinyl to do fake buttons. **


4 comments:

  1. Do you sell these? If so, I'm interested! These are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Heidi! Glad you like the pillow, but unfortunately I don't sell them. I love to create things, but I am a procrastinator and deadlines make me anxious. If you need a walk through on how to create this pillow, email me and I would love to help you!

      Delete
  2. How can I do this if I don't have the machine you used for cutting?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stephanie. You can still achieve this in several different ways. The number one way would be to use a ruler and measure about 2 inches wide and 12 inches long for your black belt using the heat adhesive vinyl. Then you can trace out a "santa" belt buckle on a sheet of paper and use an exact-o knife to cut it out. The heat adhesive vinyl can be a little difficult to cut using regular scissors - so definitely use something that is very sharp. You can also just use fabric to achieve this look. Hope that helps!

      Delete